- Your Government
- Crime Prevention
- Safe Swap Spot
Safe Swap Spot
A Safe Swap Spot is a designated public place where residents may exchange items that they have purchased/sold online. This allows people to have a public location to make legal transactions.
West St. Paul's Safe Swap Spot is located in the main entrance of City Hall (1616 Humboldt Ave.)
The Safe Swap Spot is located through the first set of doors in the main entrance. These doors are unlocked and video recorded 24 hours a day, however City Hall is only open 8am - 4:30pm, Mon-Fri.
Please keep in mind the following about Swap Spots:
- An officer will not monitor each exchange and will not facilitate transactions, nor keep a log of transactions.
- There is no guarantee that a Swap Spot location will provide a greater level of safety compared to other public locations. Swap Spots are an additional option when people want to schedule a transaction in a public place.
- The Safe Swap Spot may be used for other legal exchanges such as exchanging property between individuals or for child visitation exchanges.
While many people who conduct business online are honest and sincere in buying and selling their items, there are those who use it to facilitate their crimes. Buyers and sellers online are strangers and you need to take safety precautions, including:
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going and when you will return
- If possible, have someone accompany you
- Conduct exchanges during daylight hours, in a public place
- Bring a cell phone and make sure it is turned on
- Always trust your instincts and take additional safety precautions as necessary. Cancel plans for a transaction if you identify any red flags or have additional concerns for your safety