What is the West St. Paul Local Option Sales Tax?
Beginning January 1, 2020 a 0.5% (one half of one percent) sales tax is collected on taxable purchases in West St.Paul to fund local infrastructure. This tax is in addition to the sales taxes collected by the State of Minnesota and Dakota County. The West St. Paul Local Sales Tax will be collected through December 31, 2040.
Who Decided to Implement this tax?
The timeline for West St. Paul's Local Option Sales Tax approval is below.
- July 23, 2018: West St. Paul City Council voted unanimously to include a Local Option Sales Tax question on the 2018 General Election Ballot
- November 6, 2018: The majority of West St. Paul voters voted 'YES' to the Local Option Sales Tax question.
- May 2019: Minnesota State Legislature approved the Local Tax for implementation.
- June 24, 2019: West St. Paul City Council adopted Resolution No. 19-059 enacting Section 34.08 of the West St. Paul City Code regarding Sales and Use Tax.
- January 1, 2020: Collection of the West St. Paul Local Option Sales Tax begins.
Where can I learn more about this tax?
Details can be found at the Minnesota Department of Revenue's website.