WSP - Beyond the Yellow Ribbon
West St. Paul became an official Yellow Ribbon Community in 2012.
What is a Yellow Ribbon Community?
A Yellow Ribbon Community unites all areas within a community to create a comprehensive network that connects and coordinates agencies, organizations, resources and employers for the purpose of proactively supporting Service members, military families, and Veterans.
Why become a Yellow Ribbon Community?
Since 9/11, thousands of Minnesotans have served the country. By developing a Yellow Ribbon Network, communities unite to honor and embrace those affected by military deployments. The outward showing of support enables successful transition all the way home. The community's effort transcends the military to any group in need and builds a stronger, more compassionate community.
The WSP Yellow Ribbon Campaign exists as part of the State-wide Yellow Ribbon Network to provide resources to members of the military and their families. We also provide resources to Veterans who previously served in the Military.
How Can We Help?
- Short term help with bills
- Assistance in complying with code enforcement citations.
- Lawn mowing, yard cleanup or snow removal
- Financial assistance to repair a major appliance
- Gas cards to help get to work or school
- Diapers and baby items, Children’s clothing
- Holiday toys for kids
- Trusted referrals for repairs
- Assistance with purchasing a used vehicle or getting a vehicle repaired
- Help with moving
National Guard 2nd Battalion, 135th Infantry Regiment
We also provide assistance to the National Guard Second Battalion, 135th Infantry Division attached to the West St. Paul Armory. This regiment will be deploying in 2020 and are gearing up for that deployment now.
The deployment is expected to last one year. Families are preparing for that now and we will be here to help the families while their services members are fighting for us.
Look for ways to help support our infantry division and their families in 2020. We will reach out for volunteers through the City’s newsletter, Facebook page, Twitter account and website as it gets closer.
With the generosity of West St. Paul Cub Foods and Pace’s Tire and Auto Service – the WSP and SSP BTYR Networks were able to provide some necessary help to a South St. Paul couple who are both Veterans.
WSP Yellow Ribbon Steering Committee:
Chair: Sherrie Le
Vice Chair: Melissa Pond-Benish
Secretary/Treasurer: Shirley Buecksler
Business Liaison Officer: Ed Iago
Elected Official: Bob Pace
All Veterans and Active Service Members -click here for where to find free meals, discounts, sales and deals this Veterans Day, Nov 11, 2019:
2019 Veterans Day Deals
Thank you for your service!
Key Veteran Resources
- 24-Hour CRISIS Hotline - 952-891-7171
- Dakota County Veterans Services - 651-554-5805
- Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs - VetLink Support Line 1-888-546-5838 (One Stop Support Center)
- US Dept of Veterans Affairs - Minneapolis VA Health Care System - 612-725-2000 / 866-414-5058
- Veterans Employment Services - Minnesota Dept. of Employment and Economic Development
- MN Military Family Assistance Center - 651-282-4749
- Are you looking for help or wondering how to help someone with mental health issues? Here are several resources in Minnesota for information and support!
- NAMI Minnesota
- NAMI Southeast Minnesota
- Minnesota Association for Children’s Mental Health
- PACER Center, champions for children with disabilities
- The ARC Minnesota, disability and public policy advocacy:
- United Way 211, search for local resources
- Disability Hub MN, a free statewide resource network that helps you solve problems, navigate the system, and plan for your future
- SAVE MN, suicide awareness and education:
- Minnesota Recovery Connection, advocacy, resources, and support groups:
Scholarships are available annually to Military Members and their family through Folds of Honor
WHO: Military Families
WHAT: Folds of Honor Scholarship Programs
WHERE: Folds of Honor website
WHY: Opportunity for military veteran-families to apply for scholarships opportunities
HOW: To apply, go to the Folds of Honor Scholarship page.Questions can be emailed to Folds of Honor Scholarship.
2019 Meeting Documents
Minutes of January 8, 2019 Minutes of February 5, 2019 Minutes of March 5, 2019 Minutes of April 2, 2019 Minutes of May 7, 2019 Minutes of June 4, 2019 Minutes of July 2, 2019 Minutes of August 6, 2019
Minutes of September 3, 2019
Minutes of October 1, 2019