Chapter X - Franchises
- Sec. 10.01. Franchise Required. Except as otherwise provided by law, no person, firm or corporation shall place or maintain any permanent or semi-permanent fixtures in, over, upon, or under any street or public place for the purpose of operating a public utility or for any other purpose, without a franchise therefor from the City. A franchise shall e granted only by ordinance, which shall not be an emergency ordinance. Every ordinance granting a franchise shall contain all the terms and conditions of the franchise. The grantee shall bear the costs of publication of the franchise ordinance and shall make a sufficient deposit with the clerk to guarantee publication before the ordinance is passed.
- Sec. 10.02. Term. No perpetual franchise shall ever be granted. No franchise for a term exceeding 20 years shall be effective until approved by a majority of the electors voting thereon.
- Sec, 10.03. Public Hearings. Before any franchise ordinance is adopted or any rates, fares, or prices to be charged by a public utility are fixed by the Council, the Council shall hold a public hearing on the matter. Notice of such hearing shall be published at least once in the official newspaper not less than 10 days prior to the date of the hearing.
- Sec. 10.04. Power of Regulation Reserve. Subject to any applicable law, the council may by ordinance reasonably regulate and control the exercise of any franchise, including the maximum rates, fares, or prices to be charged by the grantee. No franchise value shall be included in the valuation of the grantee'’ property in regulating utility rates, fares, or prices under any applicable law, ordinance, or regulation or in proceedings for municipal acquisition of the grantee'’ property by purchase or eminent domain.
- Sec. 10.05. Renewals or Extension. Every extension, renewal or modification of any existing franchise or of any franchise granted hereafter shall be subject to the same limitations and shall be granted in the same manner as a new franchise.