Chapter I - Names, Boundaries, Powers, & General Provisions
- Sec. 1.01. Name and Boundaries. The City of West Saint Paul, in the County of Dakota and the State of Minnesota, shall, upon the taking effect of this Charter, continue to be a municipal corporation, under the name and style of the City of West Saint Paul, with the same boundaries as now are or hereafter may be established. The territory constituting the City of West Saint Paul, with the same boundaries and limits thereof, are as follows:
- All of Sections number 17, 18, 19, 20, and the North one-half (N ½) of Section 29 lying north of Mendota Road, and the North one-half (N ½) of Section 30, and the Southwest Quarter (SW ¼) of the Southeast Quarter (SE ¼) of Section 7. All in Township 28 North, Range 22, West, of the fourth principal meridian.
- Sec. 1.02. Powers of the City. The City shall have all powers which it may now or hereafter be possible for a municipal corporation in this State to exercise in harmony with the constitution of this State and of the United States. It is the intention of this Charter that every power which the people of the City of West Saint Paul might lawfully confer upon themselves, as a municipal corporation, by specific enumeration in this Section. This Charter shall be construed liberally in favor of the City, and the specific mention of particular powers in the Charter shall not be construed as limiting in any way the generality of the power herein sought to be conferred.
- Sec. 1.03. Charter a Public Act. This Charter shall be a public act and need not be pleased or proved in any case. It shall take effect 6 months from and after its adoption by the lectors.
Sec. 1.04. Ward Designation. The said City shall be divided into 3 wards, to be called the First, Second, and Third wards, limited and bounded as follows:
- Section 1.05 - Ordinance 96-17
- Section 1.05 - Ordinance 97-13
- Section 1.04 – Ordinance 02-08
- Section 1.06 – Ordinance 04-08
- Section 1.04 - Ordinance 12-05
- Section 1.06 - Ordinance 12-14
- The First Ward shall be comprised of:
- The area north and east of the intersection of the centerlines of South Robert Street and Marie Avenue, and the area south and east of the intersection of the centerlines of Westview Drive and Oakdale Avenue, and the area east of the centerline of Christensen Avenue between Marie Avenue and Westview Drive.
The Second Ward shall be comprised of:
- The area between the centerlines of Charlton Street and South Robert Street that is north of the centerline of Kraft Road, and the area that is between the centerlines of Livingston Avenue and South Robert Street north of the centerline of Marie Avenue.
The Third Ward shall be comprised of:
- The areas west and south of Wards 1 and 2 not contained therein.
- The Wards are depicted on the following map: Attachment A
Sec. 1.05. Council Districts. Said City of West Saint Paul shall be, and is hereby divided into 3 Council districts, and each ward shall constitute a Council district. Said Council districts shall be numbered to correspond with the number of the wards.
- That each of said Council districts, as above defined and constituted, shall form a separate election precinct of said City for the holding of all general elections provided for under the laws of this State, and for the election of all corporate officers provided for in this Charter.
- Provided, however that the Council of said City may, by a vote of 5 of the members-elect of said Council, divide such of said Council districts as may contain over 400 resident electors into 2 or more election precincts of said district and, from time to time, designate by resolution or ordinance such election precincts as aforesaid as may be deemed necessary, in order to provide for the convenience of the electors.
- Sec. 1.06. Charter Commission Membership. The Commission shall be composed of 11 qualified voters of the City who have been appointed as provided by law.